Introducing Author Savannah Blevins



Maybe it's just me, but I am ALWAYS on the wrong side of popular literary love triangles. For example... Twilight. I was in my second year of graduate school when I read Twilight. The movie hadn't come out yet, and I was looking for something to take on a trip to Chicago with me. My graduate school class was going to a conference, so I wanted something fun to read on the plane. I L.O.V.E.D Edward in Twilight. I can remember being on the airplane, and one of my professors trying to have a very serious conversation with me, and I sat there reading like...."uhh that's awesome, but you see...Bella is in a ballet studio and..."

Needless to say, by the time I made it to Chicago I was #TeamEdward all the way. Then I made the mistake of downloading NEW MOON audiobook onto my phone. I listened to book two while at the conference.

I cried when Edward left. Alligators tears. If I would have had an actual book, I would have flipped to the end to make sure he came back. Then all that pain turned to anger. I never recovered. When Jacob came along I switched teams and never looked back. Still to this day I am #TeamJacob. All the way.

Yes. I watched the movies and yes I enjoyed them, but I was on the wrong side of the love triangle. I learned to live with it. I wasn't happy, but I survived.

Then came The Hunger Games. I was totally #TeamGale from the first hunting trip. I convinced myself...FINALLY...a franchise where I can root for the right guy to get the girl! Then Peeta came along. In fact, that dude came out of NOWHERE.

I don't even want to talk about it.

I'm still upset.

The point to all of this is to explain that this all happened while I wrote Frog Hollow (Witches of Sanctuary Book#1). I realized very early on there would be a love triangle for our poor, unsuspecting Wilhelmina. However, this would be the time that I finally got what I wanted. I'm the author. That's how it works. It's one of the reasons you write, because you finally have control of the story. If no one else is happy, at least you will be happy, right?

Halfway through writing Frog Hollow I started to get worried. I was torn. Reid and Julien suddenly wasn't an easy choice anymore.

I kept asking myself. Wait. You wrote this. How did this happen?

My editor sent me an email halfway through reading Frog Hollow and said generally the same thing. "I'm so torn between Reid and Julien right now."

It was funny because at that same point in writing the story, so was I!

I finally had to leave the decision up to Wilhelmina, because it was her decision anyway. I learned the lesson very quickly that your characters don't always do what you want. You give them a personality, certain traits and a history. Sometimes due to those things, they make choices that you don't agree with and sometimes they do.

Who will Wilhelmina choose?  #TeamReid or #TeamJulien



SAMPLE EXCERPT

FROG HOLLOW
WITCHES OF SANCTUARY Book#1


I chuckle, stretching my arms above my head. “Well, I still have forty minutes before Julien picks me up. Want to grab me a couple more bricks?” 

He stiffens, and I realize my mistake instantly. 

“Julien is picking you up? Why?” 

“Zeke and Sadie have a date. You’re helping Abby set up for the cotillion. He’s the only other option.” 

“Why can’t you go move tables with me?” 

“Reid,” I warn, because I don’t want to fight. 

“I’m just saying,” he gives a shrug, “there will be three of us at the ballroom and only one Julien. It’s simple math.” 

I open my mouth to oppose, but a voice behind me beats me to the punch. “I think I can handle it,” Julien says from the porch with a hint of teasing in his voice. He is standing in the doorway next to Sera, who grins at the havoc I’ve created in the back yard. 

“You’re early.” Reid digs his heels in the ground and tenses. “It’s barely four.” 

“I like to be prompt.” 

Reid straightens his shoulders and tries again. “Willa is still practicing,” he says as kindly as he can manage. “I was just going to get her some more bricks.” 

“Great. I’d love to watch her in action. Wouldn’t you, Mrs. Thomas?” 

Sera’s eyes widen as she turns to glance back and forth between the two boys. The tension isn’t lost on her. Reid scowls in her direction, but she ignores him. 

“In fact, I would, Julien. Wilhelmina looks like she’s made some real progress today.” 

I sigh right along with Reid. “Great,” I grumble. “An audience.” 

“A support team,” Julien insists, coming over to give me a quick hug. 

It’s the first hug he’s given me all week. 

Reid stomps around the side of the house, returning with three fresh bricks. My nerves tense, because I know I will never be able to repeat the process without Reid evoking the response from me again. 
I look desperately at him, but he’s too busy glaring at Julien. “I would really rather wait,” I say, sticking my hands in the pockets of my jeans. “I’m afraid I’ve run out of energy.” 

Reid’s attention darts back to me, and he realizes my trouble. “Doubting yourself again?” He steps closer to me, giving me a smile I’ve never seen before. Seductive. Coy. Possessive. “Or do you just need me?” 

My lips part, shocked by his audacity. 

Julien’s face goes tight, and he stares at the ground. I look back to Reid with warning in my voice. “Don’t,” I mouth. 

“Why not?” he says. “You could stay here, practice, and go with me to help Abby.” 

I open my mouth to say something—what, I have no idea—but Julien saves me. “We have plans,” he says stiffly, walking down the steps. 

“I don’t recall asking you,” Reid replies coolly. 

“Okay, that’s enough,” Sera announces, clapping her hands together. “I never thought I would have to do this, but I’m kicking you all out.” 

“What?” we ask in unison. 

“Leave,” she says. “Right now. Reid, go help your sister like you promised, and Wilhelmina, go with Julien. Have her home by nine.” 

Reid’s face falls flat, but Sera merely glares at him. “Go, I said. Now.” 

Thankful for her intervention, Julien holds his hand out to me. “I’m ready if you are,” he says, smiling, though it’s obvious he is still annoyed with Reid. 

I look back at Reid, and his gaze drops to the ground. “Go,” he insists. “Before I lose my manners.” 

“Reid—” 

“Just go, Wilhelmina.” 

And just like that, I lose him. He’s back to the boy I met the night he invaded my house. Emotionless. Void. All I can do is stand there and watch him walk away. 

—— PURCHASE YOUR COPY TODAY! ——

Read Book #1, FROG HOLLOW: http://amzn.to/2aIJ67r


Read Book #2 RAVEN RIDGE: http://amzn.to/2aIIzSR





MEET THE AUTHOR:




Savannah was born in Hyden, Kentucky. She received her M.S in Speech Language Pathology from The University of Mississippi in 2009. She’s been writing since the early age of nine when she begged her parents for a type writer for Christmas.

She now lives in Corbin, Ky with her husband of eight years, John, and their two wonderful daughters, Delilah and Gracie.

When she isn’t working, or running after her kids, she spends her free time traveling the country with her husband. There is nothing better than a day of football in the grove, a late night of basketball at Rupp Arena or slapping the glass to celebrate another Washington Capitals goal.

She is a strong believer that with enough hard work and determination you can accomplish anything.

LIMITLESS PUBLISHING: http://www.limitlesspublishing.net/authors/savannah-blevins/

Apryl Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment